Tooth filling is arguably one of most important dental procedures available. If you are experiencing tooth sensitivity, it is most likely due to tooth decay which can lead to the formation of cavities. Severe tooth decay can further lead to a loss of tooth and the need for an implant and dental crown.
However, if you discover this problem early and make an appointment with your dentist, he or she can help resolve this dental issue by filling teeth eroded by tooth decay and cavities. There are different types of fillings, but it is best to take the recommendation of your dentist as he or she would know better.
At URBN Dental, we specialize in a wide range of dental practices including preventive dentistry, general dentistry, restorative dentistry, family dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry. You can be sure that our dentists will provide you with the best dental care available including dental filling when you visit our dental office today.
What Is A Dental Tooth Filling?
If you ever have a need for filling teeth, then you should know that a dental tooth filling is a synthetic material that is used in filling gaps or holes often caused by tooth decay in your tooth enamel. A dentist may also resolve to fill your teeth with an artificial compound if your tooth enamel is damaged or broken due to an accidental injury for example.
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF A TOOTH FILLING?
Dental filling is important for the following reasons:
- To relieve tooth sensitivity and pain.
- To help restore tooth stability.
- To help restore the contours and shape of your tooth.
- To help ensure that you can use the tooth to chew as usual.
- To prevent further damage to your tooth and tooth canal.
- To prevent a loss of tooth.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF FILLINGS?
There are different types of fillings available and the most common dental filling materials used by dentists are:
- Tooth colored fillings: Also called plastic or white colored fillings, these fillings consist of a mixture of plastic resin and powdered glass. Your dentist will fill up the top portion of your tooth with this filling and because of its white color, this filling is inconspicuous as it blends perfectly with your tooth enamel once cured. In addition, white colored fillings are known to release a small amount of fluoride which further protects your tooth from tooth decay.
- Gold alloy fillings: This type of filling consists of different metals including copper and gold. Gold alloy fillings are used as bonding cement when fixing partial dentures and dental crowns. Gold alloy fillings are expensive, but highly durable. However, this type of filling is known to cause tooth sensitivity.
- Nickel or cobalt-chrome alloy fillings: This type of dental filling consists of both chromium and nickel. The color of the filling is silver and the filling can be used as a form of dental.cement when fixing dental crowns.
- Silver amalgam: Also called silver fillings, this is arguably the most commonly used tooth fillings. Silver fillings consist of mercury and silver alloy. This type of filling is approved by both the Dental Federation and the World Health Organization (WHO), and is widely considered to be one of the safest and most durable tooth fillings available.
- Resin ionomer cement fillings: This filling consists of organic acid, resin polymer and glass. This filling has a white color and solidifies when blue light is applied to it.
- Glass ionomer cement fillings: This filling has a white color and consists of organic acid and glass. Glass ionomer cement is often recommended for filling small holes or gaps in a tooth. They are also used for temporary restorations as well as in bonding metal or porcelain crowns.
CAVITY TREATMENT PROCEDURE
Once you have scheduled an appointment with your dentist, he or she would carry out the steps below to ensure that you no longer experience the problems associated with cavities.
DENTISTRY FILLINGS PROCEDURE
- Numb the area: Your dentist uses local anesthetic to numb the gum surrounding the tooth with the cavity.
- Inspection: Your dentist will then inspect the affected tooth to know the amount of damage or tooth decay before advancing further with the dentistry fillings procedure.
- Removal of tartar: Cavity treatment starts with the removal of tartar. This is a rough compound that bonds to your tooth. The removal of tartar is necessary as this substance provides a breeding ground for tooth decay causing bacteria to thrive.
- Polishing of teeth: The next step involves the polishing of your teeth. Polishing is important for two reasons, the first is that it helps restore the shine to your teeth and secondly, it helps provide protection for your teeth from tooth decay bacteria.
- Dental fillings: A cavity filling procedure involves the removal of the decayed area of your tooth then filling out the cavity with filling material to help protect the tooth from any further decay and damage.
In a nutshell, cavity treatment involves the process of cavity removal to get rid of decayed portions of your tooth followed by cavity fillings to cover the hole and provide protection from further damage.
FAQ’s About Tooth Filling
What not to do after getting dental fillings?
After getting dental fillings you should avoid grinding your teeth, biting and chewing hard foods.
Do and don’ts after filling?
Proper dental care including regular brushing and flossing is important after fillings while you should not misuse your teeth in any way like using it to bite hard objects.
How long does it take for tooth fillings to settle?
The length of time it takes for your teeth to settle after fillings will vary from patient to patient depending on the severity of the cavity problem and the amount of fillings done.
How many hours do you have to wait after getting a filling?
While the use of blue UV light will solidify composite fillings immediately, your dentist may still recommend that you wait for 2 hours before you can chew on the dental filling, especially if you still feel numbness around the area.
Visit URBN Dental For The Best Dentist Filling Experts In Houston TX
If you reside in Houston TX and you need the best dentist filling experts in your area, you do not have to search any more as URBN Dental is the place to be. At our dental clinic, we offer cutting-edge dental procedures including cavity treatment and cavity fillings. Our goal is to provide preventive, restorative and curative dental solutions to improve your overall oral health. Book Now!